Online Improv Intensive: Playwrights
About this event
In this three day intensive, participants will explore how to improvise in the style of three different playwrights: Agatha Christie, David Mamet, and Alan Bennett.
What to expect:
- Exploring location as character
- Playing eccentric investigators
- Discovering how every character can have a motive
- Subverting stereotype
- ‘You’re probably wondering why I brought you all here’ – Navigating scenes where the whole cast is onstage
- Tackling controversial subject matters
- Using repetition and swearing
- Playing status
- Practical aesthetics & Meisner
- Using of specifics
- Unreliable narrators
- The narrative island technique
- Using cliche to establish characterisation
Min. participants 6, max. participants 12. If we have to cancel the event due to low numbers, we will do this with 24 hours notice.
Chris Mead is a UK-based performer and theatre-maker who teaches and coaches improvisation in London. He studied theatre at Royal Holloway College, University of London and improvisation at iO and The Annoyance Theatre in Chicago. He teaches for Hoopla Impro and serves as one of the artistic directors of The Nursery Theatre.
This Experienced 3-day Intensive runs Tues-Thurs, 13-15 July, 4pm – 7.00 pm BST
Experienced (12 months+) A class for skilful players, especially those who have finished improv training programmes at their school and are looking to widen their horizons. These classes will make the assumption that you are comfortable performing longform improvisation and will push you.
Whatever the level of ability required, all of our classes are safe, supportive environments led by our experienced teachers. Please email us if you are unsure whether a class is suitable for you. If you sign up for a class inappropriate to your level the Nursery/Maydays reserved the right to remove you from the class without refund.
Scholarships and Bursaries:
We offer full and partial scholarships for all online courses in order to make sure that the fun and community of improvisation is available to as many people as possible across the globe.
You are encouraged to apply if you would not normally be able to:
- Afford these courses
- Be unlikely to attend a course for any other reason
- No set criteria