Online Writing Course: Sketch Comedy
About this Event
This six-week writing course teaches sketch comedy writing, using SNL as a starting point because it has many moving parts, it’s on every week, and its writers have a conceptual blank check to create whatever they want within the confines of the show’s intrinsic qualities. Among other things, the course will cover topical two-line jokes, commercial parodies and digital shorts, TV and film parody sketches, existing character scenes, and a larger ensemble scene. Students will also learn the process of putting together a sketch packet and structuring a show.
- Week One: Students learn to write jokes based on headlines and from those jokes create a Cold Opening sketch.
- Week Two: Students create a commercial parody and a digital short.
- Week Three: Students write and rewrite a live parody sketch based upon a current film or TV show.
- Week Four: Students create an existing character scene from within the current cast’s repertoire of characters.
- Week Five: Students write a scene that epitomizes their POV.
- Week Six: Students create a balanced running order for a completely original, 45-minute show.
Min. participants 6, max. participants 14.
If we have to cancel the event due to low numbers, we will do this with 24hours notice (and you will receive a warning 48 hours before the course if this looks likely).
Kim Howard Johnson is a founding member of the Baron’s Barracudas (the first house team of the ImprovOlympic–later the iO), co-wrote Truth in Comedy with Charna Halpern and Del Close, and wrote The Funniest One in the Room: The Lives and Legends of Del Close, the biography of his longtime friend. He began to teach writing when his good friend Michael McCarthy invited him to join the Comedy Lab writing classes at the iO Chicago. He is a longtime friend and associate of Monty Python, working on Monty Python’s Life of Brian in Tunisia, writing numerous books on Python, and serving as personal assistant to John Cleese. He is the only person to perform with the Baron’s Barracudas, his Monty Python friends at the Hollywood Bowl, legendary improvisational troupe The Committee, and written with comedy legend Jonathan Winters.
This course runs every Friday evening from 5th February to 12th March, 7 pm – 9.30 pm GMT
Whatever the level of ability required, all of our classes are safe, supportive environments led by our experienced teachers. Please email us if you are unsure whether a class is suitable for you. If you sign up for a class inappropriate to your level the Nursery/Maydays reserved the right to remove you from the class without refund.