And this time with a little upgrade. Come and join us at the Maydays Improv Retreat 2021 at our brand new venue.
A Grade II listed Manor House nestled in 35 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, we can honestly say that this time we’ve gone full Hogwarts…
What to expect
This October, The Maydays are absolutely delighted to bring you a brand new style, Improv Retreat. Having grown in popularity (and therefore size) we needed a new venue to match. And we found it in Warwickshire’s Ashorne Hill.
As in previous years, the October Retreat is for improvisers of all levels – from beginners to experienced. Over the course of three days, you’ll get to learn and perform improvisation, make new friends, build community, laugh (a lot), and most importantly relax.
We’ll still be offering the same ‘buffet’ style selection of improv classes, evening shows, jams and socialising – just with a few extra perks. Check them out:
- Private individual or twin rooms, with ensuite bathroom and shower facilities (please note, when you book a twin room, you will need to know who you are sharing with and book it together, with one person paying)
- Full disabled access
- 90-minute ‘buffet’ sessions, plus new, longer 2-hour classes
- 3 meals a day served to your table in the restaurant (and yes we cater for veggies, vegan, gluten-free, allergies – just let us know in the dietary requirements section of your booking)
- 35 acres of stunning grounds to explore (you’ll feel like an extra in a Jane Austen film amongst the soaring trees and manicured shrubs)
- Full access to the gym (great for building up your object work strength)
- Access to the bar, complete with epic views, which closes at 11 pm
- Two chill-out areas, including The Great Hall (with a great fireplace to match).
The Maydays Improv Residentials are experiences where you get to learn and perform improvisation, watch improv shows and socialise – all in a beautiful countryside location. It’s the ultimate combo of improv and getaway.
The October Retreat is for any and all levels of improv experience.
Imagine a school where you woke up every morning and had breakfast with fascinating people, most of whom are incredibly funny creative geniuses. Imagine a school where you looked at the day’s timetable and were disappointed that you could not attend EVERY lesson as they were all just too brilliant. Imagine a school where you hoped that a chance fault in the space-time continuum would mean that the lessons would never end. Imagine a school that you didn’t want to leave at the end of the day! Thanks Maydays – I’ve now mentally replaced the memory of my own dull, grey schooling with the rainbow-technicolour memories of last week.
The Maydays are England’s vanguard of long-form improvisation.
The Maydays are an improv ensemble firmly committed to artistic growth and challenge unwilling to settle for simply being awesome. It makes them exciting to watch and a pleasure to work with.
How much experience do I need?
Both new and veteran improvisers are very welcome. We have a range of beginner to advanced classes and lots of different styles to try, so there will be something to suit everyone.
What are the timings?
You can get to your room from 2 pm on Thursday and there will be an orientation session at 5 pm. The finishing time on Sunday is 4 pm.
Daily timings look something like this (this is just a guide, you will receive an accurate timetable on arrival):
- 7 am – 8.30 am Breakfast
- 9 am Class
- 11 am Coffee break
- 11.20 am Class
- 12.50 pm Lunch
- 2 pm Class
- 3.30 pm Coffee break
- 4 pm Class
- 6.30 pm Social time
- 7 pm Dinner
- 8.30 pm Maydays and student shows and other entertainment
- 10 pm Social time in bar / great hall
- 11 pm Bar closes
Ashorne Hill has a mix of twin rooms (for two people to occupy) and double rooms (for one-person occupancy). If you are taking advantage of the cheaper twin room price you will need to know who you are sharing with. For logistical reasons, a twin room booking must be made by one person, paying the price in full for both the occupants.
Ashorne Hill has disabled access to all workshop rooms and the restaurant as well as to many of the bedrooms. If you have access requirements please do let us know if advance.
Is there WIFI?
Yes, but you will be having too much of a good time to use it very much.
Are there shops nearby?
Leamington Spa is the nearest town and it is around a 15-minute drive away. There are a good number of shops there.
What should I pack?
- long sleeve tops (probably a check shirt, you improviser, you)
- loose clothing for physical workshops
- sweater or fleece
- 4 pairs of warm socks
- 4 pairs of underwear
- dresses & leggings
- trainers (probably Converse, right?)
- sunscreen (we can hope)
- pen and notepad (to write down your ideas!)
- camera or video camera
- phone/iPad and chargers
- cash (we will have tees, hoodies and books for sale)
- reading material for your downtime
- mints/chewing gum
Are there any discounts?
Having moved venue and reimagined our retreat, we have set the lowest price possible so everyone can take advantage of it. You can apply to our Jason Chin Scholarship for a full or part-funded place.
Important information for international travellers:
With international travel being under constant review at the moment, we understand that booking is a tricky thing to weigh up. Because we run this event on such tight margins, we have to have a £100 cancellation charge unless the event itself is cancelled. If the residential goes ahead but you are unable to travel, we, unfortunately, have to levy the cancellation fee so please be aware of this when booking.